Intro to Art: Introduction to the Elements of Art (VALUE)
- SWBT demonstrate comprehension for VALUE by listening to PowerPoint presentation and following an in-class demonstration of the various drawing tools which will be used in classroom exercise(s) such as a student-created value scale
- SW orally ask questions about the techniques demonstrated during class time using content-specific vocabulary and complete sentences.
Where do we start this week? The first step in both being introduced to art as well as creating art is understanding the tools that you have at your disposal. We will first start out by discussing the element of art called VALUE. What does it mean and how do you use it in your creations.
Drawing: Observational Drawing Pre-Test
For the next four days, you will be working on a finished still-life drawing. While the artist’s view will be your choice, the “playing field” will be level for everyone considering your model. The following aspects of a finished drawing should be considered for this pre-test:
- Layout and Scale: How big will you be making this sketch?
- Materials: Which drawing materials are you the strongest with?
- Basic Shapes: Your ability to break down complex looking forms into basic geometric shapes
- Value/Color: The ability to create slight detail using shades and tints.
- Perspective: The “optical illusion” of making your drawing look three dimensional.
Digital Multimedia: Mac OS Basics
- STWBAT demonstrate their understanding of the Mac interface by reviewing short tutorial videos that explain the setup, workspace, and navigation throughout the software.
- SW discuss questions and concerns they have with the videos using content specific language.
Lesson 1.2 and 1.3 Start-Up and Procedures
Well now that the nightmare of your pre-test is over, we can finally get into the learning of this awesome software. Over the next few days, I will be sharing some short tutorial videos that you will need to watch in-class before we start with the in-class activities.
Be sure to familiarize yourself with any handouts or links that come out this week as you will have a quiz on this next week.